29 May 2009
Production Licensing Management System
China exercises production licensing management over key industrial products which concern human health, public safety, and personal and property safety. The catalogue of industrial products subject to production licensing system (the Catalogue) is formulated and published by the industrial product production licensing supervisory department under the State Council jointly with other competent departments under the State Council.
The state implements unified inspection requirements, unified certification mark, and unified supervision and management for products in the Catalogue. Enterprises not granted the production licence may not produce products listed in the Catalogue. No units or individuals may sell or use in their business activities any products in the Catalogue not granted production licence.
Enterprises must show the mark and number of the production licence on their products or their packaging and manual. The production licensing mark of industrial products is made up of the English letters "QS" (Quality Safety) and the Chinese characters 「質量安全」 (i.e. quality safety). The main colour of the mark is blue, with the letter "Q" and the Chinese characters 「質量安全」" in blue and the letter "S" in white.
Production licences are valid for five years, and food production licences are valid for three years. Application for renewal of production licences must be made with the production licensing administration departments at the provincial, autonomous region or municipal levels six months prior to their expiry date.
Key industrial products subject to production licences include:
1. Dairy products, meat products, beverages, condiments (sugar, MSG), instant noodles, biscuits, canned food, frozen food, deep-freeze noodle and rice products, puffed food, edible oil, soya sauce, liquor and other processed food that affect people's health directly;
2. Electric blankets, pressure cookers, gas water heaters and other products that may endanger people's personal and property safety;
3. Tax-monitor cash registers, counterfeit banknote detectors, satellite TV ground reception equipment, wireless TV broadcast transmission equipment and other products that have a bearing on financial security and the quality and security of communications;
4. Safety nets, safety helmets, construction fastenings and other products for protecting the safety of workers;
5. Power towers, bridge abutments, railway products, hydraulic metal structures, dangerous chemicals and their packaging and containers, and other products that may affect production safety and public safety;
6. Other products required by law and administrative regulations to be subject to production licensing management.