20 July 2017
Enquiry: Is Registration Required for the Selling of Drones? What are the Points to Note?
Starting from 1 June 2017, manufacturers and owners of civil unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs or drones) with a maximum takeoff weight of 250g or above are required to apply for real-name registration via the Civil Aviation Administration of China’s Real-Name Registration System for Drones (Chinese).
Definition of “Drone”
Drones are aerial vehicles which are unmanned, equipped with their own aviation control system, and not performing military, policing or customs flying tasks. Aircraft models and unmanned free balloons are not classified as drones.
Obligations of Drone Manufacturers
- Submit information on their product such as the description, model, maximum takeoff weight, empty vehicle weight and product type, as well as the name and mobile phone number of the drone buyer, to the Real-Name Registration System for Drones
- Include a statement in a prominent position on the outer packaging of the product and in the product manual reminding the owner to complete real-name registration via the Real-Name Registration System for Drones
- Provide sticker paper with the product for the owner to print out the “drone registration marking”
Obligations of Drone Owners
- Complete registration via the Real-Name Registration System for Drones
- Affix on the drone the “drone registration marking” bearing the registration number and QR code automatically generated by the registration system upon registration
- Update the registration details of the drone via the Real-Name Registration System for Drones in the event of sale, transfer, damage, loss or theft
Under Article 44 of the Regulations of the People's Republic of China on the Management of Radio Operation, for drones involving radio transmission devices, the manufacturer or importer may be required to apply to national radio management organisations for SRRC type approval (excluding those meeting the specifications of micro-power short-range radio transmission devices).
For further details, please refer to the following website:
Regulations on the Administration of Real-Name Registration of Civil Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (Chinese)