27 July 2017
Enquiry: What are the Registration Procedures for Milk Powder Import?
According to the Items and Requirements of Application Materials for Registration of Product Formula of Infant Formula Milk Powder Products (Trial Implementation) (2017 Revised Version) (CFDA Announcement No. 65 ) promulgated by the China Food and Drug Administration (CFDA), starting from 25 May 2017 all imports of infant formula milk powder into China must apply for registration in accordance with the new regulations.
The applicant should visit the website of CFDA or CFDA’s Centre for Health Food Evaluation, log on to the infant formula milk powder registration application system and fill in the application for registration, application for change of registration, or application for renewal of registration.
Documents to be submitted for application for registration:
- Application for registration of product formula of infant formula milk powder
- Qualifications certificates of the applicant
- Quality and safety standards of raw and auxiliary materials
- Product formula
- Product formula research and development report
- Description of production processes
- Product inspection reports
- Proofs of applicant’s research and development ability, production capacity and inspection capability
- Samples of label and manual as well as descriptions and proofs of claims
Besides, the label of the product formula of infant formula milk powder must comply with the regulations set out in the Administrative Measures for Registration of Product Formula of Infant Formula Milk Powder (CFDA Order No.26). The label means words, graphics, symbols and all descriptions attached to the smallest product package, and must include the following:
- Product name (commodity name and common name)
- Ingredients table (must comply with the criteria and relevant regulations set out in National Food Safety Standard – General Standard for the Labelling of Pre-packaged Foods (GB 7718)
- Nutrition facts (must be listed in the order stipulated in National Food Safety Standard – Infant Formula (GB 10765), National Food Safety Standard – Older Infant Formula (GB 10767), and National Food Safety Standard – Nutritional Fortification Substances Standard (GB 14880))
- Product specifications (net content)
- Registration number and production date as stated in the Product Formula of Infant Formula Milk Powder Registration Certificate
- Expiration date
For further details, please refer to the article on Guidelines Updated for the Registration and Labelling of Infant Formula Milk Powder.