About HKTDC | Media Room | Contact HKTDC | Wish List Wish List () | My HKTDC |
繁體 简体
Save As PDF Email this page Print this page

Online CBA: What Procedures are Required to Import Beef Directly into China?

Photo: Beef
Photo: Beef

Q: What Procedures are Required to Import Beef Directly into China?

A: 1. For a flow chart of importing general merchandise into China, please refer to the Guide to Doing Business in China.

2. Foreign production enterprises intending to export meat to China (including all kinds of livestock and poultry meat, meat products as well as edible by-products and offal) must apply for registration with the Certification and Accreditation Administration of the People’s Republic of China (CNAC). Food from foreign production enterprises which have not been registered are banned from importation. All registered foreign production enterprises must carry out the production, processing and storage of meat for export into China under the supervision of the competent departments in their resident country (region), and must label the registration number approved by CNAC on the packaging of qualified products. When the products of a registered foreign production enterprise are imported into China, they must undergo inspection and quarantine by a Chinese entry/exit inspection and quarantine department. Products failing inspection and quarantine would be returned, destroyed or hygienically treated in compliance with the relevant laws and regulations of China. Serious incidents could result in the revocation of registration status. For details, please refer to Health Registration for the Meat Trade.

Mainland importers of such products should apply for an Entry Animal/Plant Quarantine Permit for the Importation of Food Products of Animal or Plant Origin. An applicant for such a permit must possess independent legal person status and must also be an entity qualified to enter into trade contracts or agreements with foreign counterparts. Before applying for the quarantine permit, the applicant should also have filed with its local inspection and quarantine authority and obtained filed status as a domestic consignee of imported food products.

3. In accordance with mainland requirements, imported food exporters or agents overseas and domestic importers (consignees) of imported food must file with the official Filing Management System for Exporters/Agents and Consignees of Food. The lists of filed exporters or agents as well as filed importers are posted in the website of China’s General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ). In applying for inspection and quarantine of imported food, the consignee of the imported food or its agent must enter into the application form the names of the importer and exporter and their file numbers.

4. Enterprises engaged in the trading, wholesaling and retailing of food must apply for a Food Circulation Permit with the local industry and commerce authority.

(The HKTDC provides one-on-one China Business Advisory Service free of charge to assist companies in resolving problems encountered when doing business in China. For enquiries and appointments, please call (852) 1830 668 or register online.)

Content provided by Picture: HKTDC Research